I hope you've had a wonderful first week of school. I enjoyed having you in my class. The following is your next assignment:
As I plan for our semester, what are some of the things you want to learn in class this year? Think about your strengths and your weaknesses. What are some things you would like to improve on in English class this year? What are some interesting books you want to read? What are some discussions that you think we should have in our class? Your suggestions are much appreciated and will be thoroughly considered by Ms. Scanlon and me.
Ohh this is a good question it got me thining. My strengths are writting essay's well there all planned out and organized and I'm interested in the topic. In the past year I've gotten 4-5/5 on my essay's for my previous English classes. So I think essay's are my strengths, I do have some troubles though with the introduction and conclusion. With the introductions I can never think of a good "lead-in" to draw the readers attention. As for conclusions I find it hard to rephrase what I said earlier without repeating what I said. I also have some issues with grammar, commas are my weakness I always place them in the wrong area so I'd like to improve that. This far school year I've read a number of books Im interested in books that are like realistic fiction and have a bit of suspense this captivates me and gets me excited for the next page. In my previous classes we had debates about random topics I like that to get my voice heard and to hear others opinions. That is mainly what I'm looking forward to for this year. I can't to start learning even more this semester!
ReplyDeleteSandy Bhagwant, Period 2
Theres this one book I really recommend. The name is Silent Room. I dont quite remember the author though. It kept me very interested. I didn't want to stop reading until I finished the whole entire thing. I'm not sure that my classmates would like it, but I think they would. One of the things I would like to learn about is what is gonna be on our regents when we're juniors. I know its still early but I'm not famaliar with what might be on it. If we are informed with the type of work thats gonna be on it, then we can work on our strenghths and weaknesses from there. I cant think of any specific stregnths and weaknsses off the top of my head but I hope my imput was enough. I cant wait to get started and see what this english class has in store.
ReplyDeleteAmber Arteaga, Period 2
helloooo blogger's !
ReplyDelete- yissel here from english period 2
This semester i hope to learn a variety of things. I'm hoping to learn many vocabulary word's and expand my essay skill's. I've alway's felt that my essay's could be way better if i learned some great JUICY(ms.ullman say's that) word's to use. In my previous english classes i was taught alot of vocabulary word's but those words didn't actually stick into my brain(lol). Most likely vocabulary is my biggest weakness. Strength's ? I would say is i can have a very good " lead in " for the introduction. There isn't any book'ss i would recommend to the class , But i look forward to reading a book that has alot of thrilling event's. Lastly i look forward to having many discussion's in class but i would enjoy talking about how people worry about kid's playing with gun's OR watching violent video's but no body worries about the effect tat music has on childern. Overall im looking forward to this year of honor's English.
This semester i hope to learn how to write better in class i would i would like to disscuss issues in the united states like health care or the reccision Ect.
ReplyDeleteJonathan Fernandez period 2
I am extrememly upset because this blog erased my comment 2 times.
ReplyDeleteSo now all im saying is give me anything new and interesting to learn and ill be happy. As for strengths and weaknesses i dont know , we will find out as the year passes.
Sorry i forgot.
ReplyDeleteCarmen Garcia Period 2
This semester i would like to learn many things and strengthen what i already know. Well i think im a good essay writer (it got a 95 on my us history regents) but theres always room to improve. Maybe some vocab, we should try out some english brain teasers, in order reinforce our vocabulary. Some intresting books would be books by Junot Diaz and Alice Seabold; other than Lovely Bones, which i read; its great everyone should read it. Also, some topics we should discuss in class include the ongoing health care reform, Econimic issues, Global issues and just every day promblems that we may come across knowing or unwillingly.
ReplyDeleteIm looking forward to having a great and aventreous year(with few exams, which i higly doubt) in English honors.
Julio Mejia, Period 2
This year, I would like to learn how to improve my writing skills regarding essays, because truthfully, just thinking about writing an essay scares me. I'd like to expand my vocabulary a bit more. I look forward to reading more interesting books this year and hopefully that will entice me into reading on my own time more frequently, because I really never do. As for strengths and weaknesses, I feel that I struggle with understanding themes that you really have to think about and know the book well to discover, but I think I write pretty well to begin with.
ReplyDeleteRin Ozer, Period 2.
Yess i know how to write on this blog thingyy now lol.. i dont like to read books to be honest but if you can find a great interesting book i will love to read it during class, this semester. Also my strengths in English is comprehending while reading but writing in a time period is diffcult to me which i hope will end with such a great teacher{suck-up to the teacher line}. Lastly i will like to have class diccusions on whats happening with the recession...
ReplyDeleteJahmel Martin,Period 2
I think that since Im not very good at writing conclusions I need to work harder on and I need to pay attention to the stratigies taught in that topic. I also would like to read the book Number The Stars because its the bestest book ever =D
ReplyDeleteoops .. And My name is Ashley Pena (:
ReplyDeleteWell first my weaknesses are4 wrtiting a conclusion and introduction. I struggle with the "lead in", i want to learn more on how i can capture my readers attention. My strengths are writing the body paragraphs, i think im good by explaining and streching out a story. I would like to improve on pursuasive essays. Books, i read when i have to or when a certain book is being constantly talked about, example "push" by Sapphire. Other than that i dont read books. BUt i will like to read a book in class, read non-fiction books, true facts that occured. I think a good class disscusion should be about what is happening in our society now, things people think should be illegal or legal (abortion, age of drinking)..Devonnye Figaro, pd:2
ReplyDeleteThis year i will like to work on improving my analitical skills in my essays because i have major trouble with that in my essays. If i improve on it, it will help me gain higher grades on my essay because that is what causes my grades on my essays to go down. But this yr i want to read books that are interesting and have meaning to it like Push by Saphire. i think a good class discussion would be on abortion, and child abuse and teenage pregnancy. besides that i feel that as time goes on ill discover more of my weakness with this class and learn how to fix it.
ReplyDelete.......Ama Adutwiwaa
I would have to say that my weakness is writing a thematic essay because most of the time I don't know the topic. I want to improve my vocabulary and my writing skills because thats also my weakness. One book that I recommend is Cut by Patricia McCormick & Pride of Puerto Rico by Paul Robert Walker for any baseball fans in school. I think that it would be good for us to read books that are non-fiction and something that we as teenagers could relate to because most likely we can have a class discussion about it.
ReplyDelete--Chandra Pagan, pd. 2
ummmm... For this semester in English Honors I would like 2 learn about how to understand the different types of languages or accents spoken by the characters in books.im good at understanding the books i read and visualizing the scenes but i need help understanding some of the big, fancy words the author uses. In this class i want to improve my vocabulary skills and on writing the intro and conclusion of an essay(especially the conclusion part). I strongly recommend any book by Sharon m. draper. i think she's the best author that writes teen literature because her books deal with issues that teens go through and in the end of each book there are lesson that can be learned. Lastly to answer the discussion question i would really like 2 talk about what's going on with politics because the only thing i know is that obama is the president and that's pretty much it. so i dont know what he's done so far as the president or what his future plans are
ReplyDeleteStephanie Cardenas
period 2
This semester i would mostly like to learn.... new vocabulary because sometimes people say a few words i don't understand and new vocabulary would definitely be good. I would also like to learn how to make my essays better because even though i have gotten better at essay writing, i feel im still a little weak around the area and theres a few
ReplyDeletespecific things i need help with such as what goes inside the essay. i also look forward to re-reading "to kill a mocking bird" because i read it in six grade and i wonder if now i will look at it on a different perspective. hopefully you keep lessons fun ms. valit, and thats about all my expectations and weaknesses.
Brandon Vivas, 2 period
I actually have alot of similarities with Sandy, I am also pretty positive about writing essays because i can get really deatailed. The main problem is that in the introduction I have difficulty finding a really interesting "lead in" so that it can grasp the reader's attention, and i also have difficulties re-stating the conclusion without repeating the same sentences, so I also agree that reviewing creative structure for essays would be an awesome idea! I think that another weakness i have is reading books that have really confusing vocabulary because I start loosing it and i get confused, and then I end up not knowing what the book is about. I do not have specific titles of books that I would like to read, or else I'd be reading them already, but I love books that have some type of lesson at the end because books as well help feed the soul and help you become a stronger person- atleast for me. I would love to debate topics in the class that you usually don't do, I think that most of us in the class are mat
ReplyDeleteAndrea, 2 period
My weakness is writing an essay in general because i take like for ever to write an intro and a conclusion. This is what i really want to improve this year.
ReplyDeleteDaisy Chabla, 2nd period
My weakness is that I am incredibly hard on myself, and i tend to second guess myself. I love writing essays and reading books, its like I get to travel to new, exciting, and exotic, places something that excites me. Ooh, and my other weakness is this,: I hate proof reading.
ReplyDeleteNow i know this is a touchy subject but I would to have a debate about racism. About "good Hair" and "bad hair", oerhaps discussing why minorties tend to feel that having straight hair is the only way to be beautiful (please understand that I know that not everyone is like this, but there are people who feel this way). In a ddition we could probably debate this question: Do men/ guys prefer ligter skinned women? The reason why I ask that is because I remember a guy saying to me: Oh your pretty FOR a dark skinned girl" and then when i fought this statement, he said that I was full of myself. which is so completely incoreect. So i know its a touchy subkect but i would love to see how the debate would go. Sorry for waiting so long to complete this assignment but, i had to wait until I the right "thing" (in lack of a better word) came to me.
Najwa Stanford, period 2
actually i wrote this at 10:00 the time on my computer is wrong. fyi. najwa stanford, period 2
ReplyDeleteI can relate to everybody's comment on this blog. I tend to be stuck RIGHT at the beginning of my essay, whether it be thematic, persuasive, whatever, just 'cause I get writer's block when it comes to choosing a hook. But once I find my hook, and I can connect it to my topic, then I'm good from there, until I get to my conclusion 'cause, like Andrea, I just can't seem to come up with a way to rephrase my thesis statement into my conclusion without being repetitive lol. Those are my weaknesses for now, we'll see how many more weaknesses I discover at the school year continues haha. And for my strengths, I'm usually good at understanding what I'm supposed to be writing about. I'm also pretty good at using descriptive and analytical language in my essays. One of the many things that I'm really looking forward to working on is my vocabulary. I desperately need to expand my vocab 'cause I'm always catching myself using the same word over and over again, and I hate that lol. A story that I think our whole class should read is "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been" by Joyce Carol Oates. I just LOVE how metaphorical this story is 'cause I was all confused while reading it. I took everything literal, which lead me to being afraid of staying home alone for about two months haha. It's just a creepy, eerie feeling story, but it's really, really good. I think if we all read it as a class, we'll be able to stir up a great discussion where everybody can put their input on what they think the story is about. Yeahh, I'm done rambling now. (:
ReplyDeleteAriana Mohan, Pd. 2