Hey Bloggers,
Today we did a lesson on the Harlem Renaissance. Please Blog about two new things that you've learned from today's lesson. In addition, please give Ms. Scanlon and I feedback on today's lesson. Was it helpful? What could have been done differently? Did it help you understand the setting of the book we are about to read? Please Blog one Full and grammatically correct paragraph in order to receive full credit.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
today we had a pretty cool lesson i enjoyed it ALOT.....thnx ms.valit & ms.scanlon
ReplyDeleteBacc 2 the assignment
I learned today that african americans used exaggeration in their paintings to get there point across. I also learned that what was cool to wear back then was really different from what we wear now; but the outfits were cool in their own ways. The powerpoint was a little crazy bcuz it was way too fast and we couldn't read it...=/..... but overall it was a cool lesson i wasn't expecting it.
P.S= Thnx 4 da HAT!!!!=))
Anderson Joaquin P.2
In todays lesson about harlem renaissance i learned a lot about african american during that time in Harlen, NY. i learned that Marcus Garvey worked really hard during that time, i learned that UNIA that all of africa and its diaspora into 'one grand racial hierarchy'. his movement influenced many africans towards fight to end racism. i also learned about african american art that was based on the struggles of their past and had lots of meaning in them.
ReplyDeletei thought todays lesson was very fun because we learned about this renaissance in a fun way instead of a boring way. i especially liked the fact that you guys were distributing beads and hats.
Nawang Lodoe, 2
I enjoyed today's class a lot. It was fun and I learned more facts that I learned in my history class itself. I learned some new things I never knew for example I never knew fedroas was in style duuring that time period, to be completely honest I thought they became a big style after Michael Jackson started to wear them. But that's really cool to have a unique style like that. Also a lot of their hats and head wear included styles I never saw before their hats were like 7 inches high and had so many feathers. I learned about some new people I'd never heard about before and its amazing the effect they had on people. Oh also I like some of their music. Some of their music had so many different beats and a good rhythm I like their music a lot. I notice how musicians and entertainers today were influenced by their music. Also like other people said I never knew the Harlem Renaissance was also called the Negro Movement, my previous history teachers never told me that. Another thing that shocked me that shocked a lot of people was that many African Americans were accepted in Europe rather than the U.S. I learned a lot today and today's lesson was really fun I like how Ms. Valit and Ms. Scalon included the fedora's and the beads to create the Harlem Renasissance vibe and it made it more interesting. I hope we continue to do more lessons like this and I'm looking forward to reading the novel.
ReplyDeleteSandy Bhagwant, Pd 2
=]
I liked todays lesson alot. The music was great , the fashion classy and the people , heroes. I think it was a good lesson and it gets us going not having to sit in our seat and listen to a boring lecture or copy notes. I personally like hands on things so if you keep going with lessons like that you better expect some extra good grades from me.
ReplyDeleteCarmen Garcia Period 2
today's lesson was extremely unique and i loved it. since i walked into the room and ms. valit placed the neckalace over my head i tottaly knew that she had one of her awesome idea's and i was going to get something out of the class. najawa's dancing was priceless, (in a good way)and i felt like joioning but i felt pathetic. haha. anyways, i learned that african americans used alot of exxageration to come across a point. i agree with alot of things that anderson said. also, one thing that really caught my attention was when i was in the fashion section, najawa showed me a picture of the women in "bathing suits" and it was ridicoulously different. like, if people went to the beach like that they'd be the president of island pathetic. it's so interesting how much people have assimilated and how time makes crazy changes. sometimes, i put myself to think, and i say when i get older and my kids look back at what i would wear, are they going to think it's crazy ridicoulous as well? thankyou for all the effort ms.valit and ms,scanlon, it was such an awesome class!!!
ReplyDelete-Andrea Moreno Period 2
I really have to agree with everyone. The lesson today was pretty cool. I enjoyed most of it. Im guessing the book there eyes are watchin god is during the time of the harlem Renaissance? Personally I thought the lesson was extremely helpful because I learned a little bit about the topic in U.S history but today I learned all the aspects of it. The first thing I learned today was that they also had some fast techno dancing music along with jazz. The second thing I learned today was that the during the harlem Renaissance there were Urban whites who took up on New York's African American community afterwards, by opening up publishing oppurtunities. I had no idea that some white people actually supported this movement and wanted to take part in it.
ReplyDeleteAmber Arteaga Period 2
I learned a lot today, but one thing that I realized is that how much our music has changed over the years and how fashion progressed over time. It's really interesting to compare the mid-twenties and thirties to the present. I also learned how important the Harlem Renaissance was to African American culture and it's movement. I LOVED the lesson today because it was so random but so hands-on and creative. I wish all my classes were like this. Because of the lesson today, I think I grasped the concept of the setting of the book we're going to read pretty well.
ReplyDeleteRin Ozer, period 2.
Today class was really interesting. I learned back then during the harlem renaissance african americans fashion sense was different from now. At first Americans dressed ragedy but after a while they wanted to portray themselves as elegant people. So they began dressing like the whites and started wearing elegant casual dresses and suits to fit in with their society. Another thing i learn was that even though African Americans had build a new life they still had racial tension with the whites. At first i had thought that they were free atlast once they moved into harlem but i guess that wasn't the case. but one thing i found amazingly interesting was the topic on urban fiction. Do we believe that the way they portray blacks is true or not? I believe that the only reason why they make the books that way is to attract readers because honestly i find those type of books really interesting. But then again the theme of most of thes books are the same drugs, sex, and gangsta/thugs.
ReplyDelete- Ama Adutwiwaa
Tooday's lesson was very intersting and fun. Each station we approached gave each student fluent information about the Harlem Renaissance. Two new things i've learned today were about The Cotton Club; it provided black entertainment for excusively whit audiences. Aniother thing was Marcus Gravey he mobilzed NAACP, ten thousand of people were supported it. Today's lesson was very handful, we learned more about fashion and srt during the Harlem Renaissance, that were never mentioned in classes. It could've been better if we discuss as a group what we've noticed and learned.
ReplyDeleteDevonnye Figaro. pd:2
I really liked todays class. It was intersting and i learned a few things. Like, woman back then used very weird bathing suits.I hope we get to do more things like this.
ReplyDeleteDaisy Chabla, 2nd period.
Today I learned that African Americans wee very fun and creative. Altough the power point wasnt working smartly I really loved the fact that we had a hands-on activity, things like that really attract me. What I also learned was that African Americans expressed their pain in their art. I honestly didnt like that because I would rather look at a picture or sculpture that shows their strength rather then their pain and weakness. Other then that I learned alot today and I loved the Harlem Renissance (:
ReplyDeleteAshley Marie Pena, 2nd Period
Today wass a wonderful lesson on the Harlem Renaissance and was very educational. I learned that the African Americans had many ways to express themselves to the publics and especially to the whites. I've also learned that the African American had tried to make modern art combining the past and future culture. I also think the way you guys did the lesson was very intresting was was nonboring. But i think it would have been better if you guys did the presentation befor the group activity, lthough it really doesnt matter.
ReplyDeletePeriod 2 Master Ali(Sean)
I had a lot of fun in todays class. I learned a lot about the Harlem Renaissance. During that time, their music and fashion was completey different from ours today. Their music involved a lot of jazz instruments like the saxophone, trumpet, etc. I found it cool to listen to music from the 1920's because you could compare how people sang back then and today. The fashion in the 1920's was also different because the women wore dresses almost everywhere they went. I noticed from the pictures that most of the dresses didn't really have shape and they didn't outline a women's body like clothes do today. I really like today's lesson because it was different from other days. We didn't have to sit at our desks the whole period, so that was really cool. =]
ReplyDeleteoh and i forgot Chandra Pagan, period 2.
ReplyDeleteToday's class was the BEST! It was wayyy better than being in History class and learning about black history, not only because it was fun, but because I learned a whole lot more in such a short amount of time, compared to being in History and trying to understand notes and whatnot. I also loved how spontaneous it was lol. I was expecting to go through the same routine like we always do every morning, but it was the total opposite. I learned a load of things about African Americans in the 1920's, but what I admired the most about them was how much they've changed from being brought down physically and mentally by whites, to bringing themselves back up and expressing themselves in various artistic ways that not only impressed and entertained their people, but whites as well. K I'm done now. Good night. =)
ReplyDelete-Ariana Mohan, Pd. 2
Today during english class I learned alot about the harlem renaissance.Two things that stuck out to me were that their music was so different then ours today.There music reminded me of like the swing and jazz but today everyone listens to rap and hip hop.I also learned that african americans were very determined to prove to white people that they were educated and had many good talents like painting,reading,fashion.African americans even had shows where white people were the audience.I really liked todays lesson,not just because I learned new things but because it was fun.We got to listen to music and got pretty necklaces =).I enjoyed it very much <3.
ReplyDeleteMelina Milanovic
period 2
sorry i forgot my name for paragraph Jahmel Martin pd.2 [googi3000]
ReplyDeleteI loved todays class. It was hands on learning which i really enjoy. I hope we keep on doing such lessons. Today I learned many things that I havent even heared of in history class, such as their fashion and contribution to american society as a whole. As for Ms. Scanlon she is doing a great job. I would know this because snice I could remember I been in classes with student teachers. But one thing, I would like for her to start taking over the class and just go at it.
ReplyDeleteJulio Mejia, pd 2
I loved today's lesson. No other teacher has ever done this kind of lesson and I really like the whole idea of giving us necklaces and hats, it went well with the whole topic of the Harlem Renaissance. I liked the fact that you let us learn about the topic ourselves before you gave us the lesson. I learned about their fashion, the kind of music they liked, their art, what kind of people influenced them, and what kind of conditions they went through. I also learned that most of their art symbolized their daily stuggles but at the same time the pride they carried with them. They also used many dull colors compared to the kind of colors that are used now a days. Another thing I learned was that although blacks at the time were going through many racial criticism, as well as other struggles, they didn't let it interfere with their progress as a whole, they still aimed high and believed in a better future.
ReplyDelete~Stephanie Cardenas~ period2
My favorite section of course was the music section, it was all lovely. I guess I would have liked it if my time at the stations were a little bit longer. Hmmm... BUt i have to say I disagree with Sean ( Master) because I am not a student who connects best with "presentations". I love action, moving, acting, dancing. I guess because of my dramatic and adventurous nature. Perhaps next time we could do a skit, ooh what about it if you and ms. scanlos assigned us pages to read for homework, assign roles, and the following day we could act out the scenes from the book. I bet it would be hilarious to hear all of our different and unique voices to trying to embody the southern dialect used in "their eyes were watching God" Maybe it wil stick to us more if we could connect our laughter to the lesson.But todays lesson was incredible, job well done.
ReplyDeleteSo from today's lesson I will assum that the book takes place during the Harlem Renaissance, and perhaps the author received a lot of negative reviews because people thought that she was exaggerating more than she ought to.
I learned that Marcus Garvey formed the NAACP, and I learned that not people like W.E.B. Du Bois opposed nooks that paintd such a "negative" synopsis of the life of an African - American.
But may I ask something: why do we enjoy urban novels so much?
is it because we enjoy seeing the flaws of anpther race to feel better of our own?
Or do we just like seeing the protagonist rise above all of the problems that he/she faces?
Or, what? What is it?
And ALSO: do you guys believe that Afircan- Americans have continued to grow since, the Harlem Renaissance, or have they gone backwards?
Please explain your answer, I hope I am not crossing the line Ms. Valit by taking over your homework assignment, but these thoughts popped up, and I just had to ask...
Najwa Stanford, period 2
Todays lesson was one of the best so far i feel because it really gave me more of a perception of life's during the 20's more than just copying down notes on paper. Well one thing i learned today was that during the Harlem Renaissance, it wasn't completely only about the birth to one of the most artistic time periods for the African American community, but it also helped African Americans join into some of the luxury of the middle class, maybe not all due to the fact that there was still racism and racism is something that is still with us today. I learned that with this change of economy, many people could enjoy furs and other fashionable luxuries. Another thing i learned was the expansion of the Harlem territory from the 1920 and throughout the 1930's. This expansion gave some of the most treasured places we have now such as the Apollo theater. One more thing that i feel relates to the last 2 things i wrote about was the interest of some Caucasian people into the fun and entertaining life of African Americans. With the opening of clubs such as the cotton club came the late night mingles and sort of an integration of those who relished to experience some of the musical art that African Americans brought forth. Today was definitely an interesting class, not just because of the activity, but in a way it gave me a certain interest to look more into the Harlem Renaissance time.
ReplyDeleteBrandon Vivas, period 2
Today, while we learned about and somewhat experienced the time of the Harlem Renaissance with our fashionable beads and hats, i learned many things. I didnt know that white people joined black people in the events that blacks had to expand their culture, and even led to them opening opportunities for black artists. it really surprised me, and when i thought about it, i didnt really know how the Harlem Renaissance actually expanded so much. i also didnt know that blacks were actually accepted in Europe, which wasnt even their homeland. it was something very surprising.
ReplyDeleteToday's lesson was very cool. The music, necklaces, and hats really set the mood and gave us a true taste of how the Harlem Renaissance were,ESPECIALLY compared to the way we usually learn U.S. history. Last years lessons on the Harlem Renaissance were'nt half as interesting as today's. =)
KAROL PEREZ - pd2