Dear Students,
Welcome to our Blog!!! This Blog is for you to post Comments, Questions, and Ideas throughout the semester. I will be checking this Blog weekly, so remember, all entries must be class relevant and appropriate! Although you will be required to Blog weekly, I encourage you to use it as often as you can. You can utilize the blog to post comments about the days lesson, ask other students for help with homework or other questions that you may have about reading assignments, relay ideas or feelings about what we are currently reading, and communicate with your peers. I encourage you to debate, analyze and discuss!!! I will pick one "Blogger of the Week" and post their Blog on our Class Bulletin Board. Please make sure that your blogs are insightful and interesting. Furthermore, you MUST be respectful to your peers. If I deem your use of the Blog inappropriate, you will be removed and your rights to blogging relinquished. I am very excited to see where this goes!
Please Remember:
1. Leave your First and Last name as well as Period at the conclusion of every Blog to get credit.
2. Be creative, and insightful.
3. Make a habit of commenting on other blogs.
4. Be RESPECFUL of everyone's thoughts and feelings.
5. Report inappropriate use to Ms. Valit immediately.
6. Strive to be Blogger of the Week.
Thanks,
Ms. Valit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo since i went on the wrong blog and i dont feel like rewriting what i said im going to try a different topic and see what you guys think ,
ReplyDeleteIn class we were given 2 topics to pick from and i feel strongly about girls athletic teams. That might just be me because i love sports but what do you guys think ?
Carmen Garcia Period 2
p.s. Consider the fact that last year was jko's 1st girls bball team. Which to me was long overdue.
I strongly agree with Carmen. I think that's great about the girls athletic teams. Not only do boys have the right to play sports girls are very much interested in sports as the boys are. I think it would be great and it'd hopefully create some diversity btwn the two. Girls will finally be aknowledged for playing sports and being good at it for once. These girls are not doing anything thats inappropiate if they want to be on a sports team so be it let them. Who knows they be better than most of the boys on it already. If their not allowed because people believe they'll "hurt themselves" or "break a nail" then I think thats just a sexist attitude and excuse to prevent girls from playing sports.
ReplyDeleteBTW, JKO did take forever to come out with a girl basket ball team, its kinda biased in some ways.
Sandy Bhagwant Period 2
THANK YOU SANDY
ReplyDeletePoint proven-
Example-I play basketball and im better than alot of my friends that are boys. Its true , alot of people say girls are more sensitive and complain alot. When it comes to emotions that can definitely be true but on the other hand I dont see girls in the WNBA screaming in the middle of a game saying they broke a nail. And for the girls that are like that obviously you shouldnt be on a team if your going to complain about a broken nail or that you got fouled. Its a sport , get over it and stop making a name for the rest of the girls that actually have the guts to suck it up and concentrate on the game instead of complaining that you only fouled someone once not twice and that they did it first. Be real.
Carmen Garcia Period 2
Yeah this is totally true. But apart from basketball, i think that girls are disadvantage in so many other areas. Society always expects us to become mothers, wives totally loving and dependent on our husbands. But like so many other women (or young ladies) I just can't be like that. But seriously ladies, we need to get smarter. For instance we need to stop ALLOWING guys to do whatever they want to us. If you don't like something he said to you whether true or untrue,YOU TELL HIM ABOUT IT!! don't be scared, afterall what can he do to you. Remember, ladies a guy has no power over you unless you give him the power. All of you are so beautiful and are worth so much, so incredibly valuabele, please don't let a guy or anyone for that matter strip you of it. Please... Someyimes in the hall when I see these things they make twinge, especially when they don't defend themselves. It hurts me, it really does, but more importantly it hurts you, and if it doesn't it should. The reason why I bring this up is because by allowing a guy to walk all over you, you are giving into his chauvinistic ideals. So then when we begin to fight for more rights and equality we won't exactly be taken seriously because our actions dont match our words. You see? Besides ladies we need to be more focused on getting into great colleges versus wondering if "BOB" (lol) likes you. I mean true guys and exist, and true we have crushes, and like them, and think they are cute. *sigh* (even i do, unfortunately) and I am not saying that you shouldn't but you have to carry yourselves properly. Dress classy (not like a nun, unless that is your religion and if so by all means!), speak with integrity and confidence, and be independent. I highly recommend that every lady read Steve Harvey's "Act Like a Lady, Think like a Man". not only is it funny, but it helps you to understand. And I am going to just attack the ladies, fellas you need to get yourselves together, and learn how to treat a young lady. Talking,to a girl, isn't just about having sex with her (excuse me for saying sex) and then dumping her the next minute). Its wrong, vile, and a major turnoff. Trust me, when you find a girl that you are really hot for, and she hates guys who do those things, you are going to lose her. Because a girl like that doesn't take crap from " no one, no how". Guys don't have sex with a girl, and then blast it accross the school later, that is so ignorant to me, and i just cannot understand it. Having sex is supposed to be a moment shared with two people in love ( not that i would know, but hey i watch lifetime with my mom! lol!) but seriously if you happen to have sex don't blast it. IT IS PRIVATE. So yeah, I guess that's all I have to stay, I hope i did not offend anyone, that really is not my intention, I really just want to speak my mind , and you may take it as you please. Thank you for reading, and in case you haven't noticed it's me Najwa Stanford.
ReplyDeleteNajwa from period 2, but I think that the length of my response has already given me away!
ReplyDeleteI agree with sandy and carmen that girls should get some credit on that its not only boys who can play sports we can too and that there are many girls who are just as good at sports as boys are... girls should compete against boys so that we can show them that we are just as good and there isnt much diffrence between boys and girls and show them that were not weak!!
ReplyDeleteEmily Vargas pd 2
Well said, Najwa. However regarding the topic, I personally think the situation is a plot by society, yet again, to set up GENDER EXPECTATIONS. No one stops to think about the pressure the boys AND girls would feel if they were on the same sports team. If this were to happen, let's say, it would add so much stress to students. It isn't a question of both genders on the same team, but a question of how comfortable everyone is with being pawns of expectations. "What will the girl do? How will the boy react? HOW did the referee just allow that against a GIRL?!"
ReplyDeleteRin Ozer Period 2.
I agree with all of you because ive seen alot of girls play sports that are "boy" sports and many of the time girls beat the boys. but like Rin said, the way society looks at things, its difficult to create teams with gender mixes because in sports like football,if a girl was to play with other guys, the opposite team would struggle because tackling a girl is not the gentlemen way and if the opposite team loses, theyd automatically blame it on the fact that a girl was on the other team and theyd count it as cheating,because the girl would be "the secret weapon". I do agree with the fact that girls should be allowed in teams but it takes times for certain boys to feel more comfortable upon taking the girl as "one of the boys", and in order to do this, wed need to break the barriers that society has set upon us and accept the fact that were no longer in the 18th century but instead in the 21th century.
ReplyDeleteBrandon Vivas, 2nd period
I understand what Brandon and Rin are saying but, I don't think people should worry like how is the girl going to react or what is the guys going to do. If you're on a sports team of any type of sport you have to expect to get hurt or tackled in some situations, if you can't handle it then you obviously shouldn't be playing the sport. In my opinion I'm sticking to what I said earlier I just think girls should have an equal opportunity to playing sports as the guys have. If girls are going to complain they should obviously suck it up and get over it. All in all girls should have the same opportunites in sports.
ReplyDeleteSandy Bhagwant, 2nd Period
I agree with sandy it dosent matter what society thinks thats why they should put girls in the same teams as boys to show society thats there is no diffrenece between boys and girls.If a girl decides to join some kind of sport they should always know that theres some possiblily that they could get hurt.
ReplyDeleteEmily Vargas pd 2
i agree with carmen because its not fair that many people judge girls just because of their gender..if you turn on a television you will be able to see that girls are actually great players and they take games seriously..im not really into sports but that doesnt mean that the rest of my friends arent..everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves..just because girls do their nails and like fashion and accerioes doesnt mean that they cant play sports.and theres no law that say that (well at least i think there isnt)but i agree with all the people that said girls should be allowed to play sports
ReplyDeletemelina milanovic
second period
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, it's not so simple as to say, "Fine - let girls play with boys on their sports teams." There's a lot to it. Eventually, individuals will begin to question themselves in this situation of the "battle of the sexes" and sports will turn out to be the last thing on their minds. Regarding everyone's confusion as to what makes girls different than boys, let me just say - A LOT. People say we're the same because it sounds right to the ears, but it's not.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I forgot my name last time.
Rin Ozer, Period 2.
I agree with Melina that girls should be able to play sports and it doesn't matter that they might be really girly I also agree with Rin because their can be a lot of tension between girls and boys when their playing together.Boys and girls are all humans and it doesn't matter what gender they are,we all should have a chance to prove ourselves when it comes to sports.No one should have the right to take away a girls dream.Girls are just as good as boys and sometimes they are even smarter. ;)
ReplyDeleteNawang Lodoe,period 2
I think we are all missing the bigger pciture. Yes I am firm believer that women/girls, should have more freedom. Yes, there should be integrated teans combining both males and females, and yes poeple who don't agree are wrong. But it isn't enough to just say our opinions. perhaps we should all think about a solution of how to group the two ideas as one... creating a common ground if you will. The question is how do we do it? Because we cannpt change the ideals, standards, and morals, that have been instilled in someone from their childhood. that is something, that must be changed by the beholder of said beliefs. So what could we possibly do to nudge that person, in the way in which we feel is right: equal rights for women on team? No one should have the right to take away a girl's dream, as nawang said, but they rebuttal will be this: no one is. they will say women have their own teams and leagues, and though it isn't entirely true, they will not admit this. So how exactly do we open their eyes; forcing them to smell the coffee. because right now we are just going back and forth, failing to at least come to some conclusion, or perhaps even some suggestions on how to bring about change.
ReplyDeleteNajwa Stanford, period 2
ReplyDeleteumm please do excuse the grammatical errors i never proof read, don't hold it against me
ReplyDeleteNajwa Stanford, period 2
Ok so here it goes NO ONE said anything about a mixed team both boys and girls on one team. Sorry not to be rude but i am getting a bit upset with you guys talking about mixed and how people will react. I am talking about an all girls team and just an all girls team no bigger picture right now , to tackle bigger issues we need to tackle the little ones first. Girls that are aggresive and like sports like me do not CARE about being fouled. Its a sport not a hair appointment. Oh yeah and you would be surprised at how it can get on an all girls team. Not too peachy people. And back to Rin their are always going to be gender expectations just like their is always going to be racism but thats something we have to deal with. I bet we would rather it not be like that but this is what our past left us to deal with.
ReplyDeleteCarmen Garcia Period 2
Ms valit my strengths are multiple cioce ans short answer responses. Im okay with notetaking bu t i believe that it needs to be iproved.My weakness is essays. even though last year my teachers said that my essays were good i still felt that i could do even better. the books i to read are fantasy and mystery books, sometimes if the book is exciting i would read a diferent genre.
ReplyDeleteTrevor Spencer Period 2
I think Jko should have more girl teams for girls that like to play sports.
ReplyDeleteDaisy Chabla, 2nd period
I actually agree with Najwa all the way! About that debate topic. Alot of girls i know are always putting and all of this crap in their hair. If thats what you like hey go do you but i really think you should rep your culture, You definitely came from a past of strong willed independent woman and by doing stuff with your hair thats natural and represents your roots is awesome to me , just my opinion , dont take it to heart.
ReplyDeleteCarmen Garcia Period 2
Thank you so much Carmen for understanding. Cause it really hurts me when I see people who are dark skinned or spanish saying "lite skin is the right skin" I think that is so ignorant and stupid, and it burns me inside to the point, where I just want to smack em'. But why can't we embrace ourselves and why can't others accept for who we are?
ReplyDeletePersonally it has to do with all these commercials and all the tings that society upholds as being beautiful: Big Boobs, Big Booty, blonde hair, blue eyes, and hey lets face it lite skinned. I have even had people close to me tell me: You know you're dark right? and the funny thing is is that they were darker or the same complexion as me. Another thing that bothers me is the word nigger. Now i dont care what you say making it nigga DOES NOT MAKE IT OKAY. why would we do that? after all we did to overcome slavery why would we reverse all our progress. We keep saying that the man is holding us down, but really, we are. You know those clothes made by Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hillfigger, Calvin Klein, and Timberland well they are all racist. The horse onralph lauren's clothes sympolizes the madter who whould come with the whip to hit the slaves, the tree on the timbaland boots, is where slaves were hung, and both calvin klein and tommy hillfigger don't want blacks wearing their clothes.
And by the way, I cannot understand racism seeing, how we all originate from the same place: Africa. So for all of you who say you hate black people, well I guess you hate yourself to....! Africa is the birthplace of humanity and at school-info4u.com we promote the fact that all family trees lead to Africa, the motherland.
Here is the quote:
The maternal ancestor of every human being on earth is an African woman who lived 200,000 years ago.
This is a scientific fact, but the legacy of slavery has kept us from discovering our true history, identity, and cultural traditions. It has also prevented us from uniting as a people.
Still not convinced check it out for yourself @
http://www.school-info4u.com/Africa_the_birthplace_of_humanity.html
I will continue to gather more research for those who still don't believe.
NOw dont get me wrong I am not saying anything bad about he vast cultures out there. I love them all: Spanish people, black people, purple people, yellow people, green, and orange, but I am just letting you know that no matter how light your skin is or how straight your hair is, you can stilll trace your orgin to those same nappy roots...
P.S. just because your lite skinned or have "good hair" ( which is a load of dung) does not neccessarily mean that you are better or a good person. You can be, but it isn't always true.
Disclaimer: In spite of my seemingly harsh words I love you all even if you hate me now. AND I AM NOT RACIST, I AM JUST TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH RACIAL UNITY IN THE BEST WAY I CAN. PEACE AND LOVE.
NAJWA STANFORD, PERIOD 2
Just some random thought as i was sitting here thinking ,
ReplyDeleteI dont know how many of you can relate but this is just to throw out there. Its a great thing to have a close relationship with your parents. Like right now im in a bad position. When i was younger i was my moms "partner in crime" you can call it but in the past few years ALOT of things that hapenned that have changed our relationship. See , everytime you do something wrong you dig yourself a grave, and as you keep doing things wrong the grave gets deeper. Thats what happenned to me. Now me and my mom have this unopen, kind of hidden behind problem relationship. We dont talk the way we used to and because of this and a combination of other things our mother daughter relationship has gone down the drain. I am hoping this year will be proof that i can do better and be her partner in crime again but idk. If anyone has gone through something like this please share, i like when i can learn to relate to people through similarities in life problems.
Carmen Garcia Period 2
I think that as you get older its hard to tell things to your parents in a way i can relate to you carmen like i get along with my mom but i just cant tell her personal things because she tells my other aunts so i just perfer not to tell her anything and keep my things to myself but i do get along with her shes always telling me to do good in school because if she had the advantage that i have when she was younger of studying she would have worked really hard to have a career.
ReplyDeleteEmily Vargas pd 2
Wooww I don't know why but I was about to cry after reading Carmen's comment lol, anyway I agree with Emily as we all get older it gets really hard to kind of tell our parents things. When we were like 5 years old or whatever it was simple, but as we mature it gets difficult. I'm not sure why I guess we're obviously no little kids anymore and sometimes I guess we just stop relating. I mean as we get older we obviously emerge into another person. We learn about ourselves, our likes, dislikes whatever and its not that simple to talk to our parents as it used to be. Now I'm getting sad :[, anyway I guess it just might be some type of phase we have to out grow. I think if we just make our parents proud it'll all change.
ReplyDeleteSandy Bhagwant, Pd. 2
lol, dont cry sandy. im here :p
ReplyDeletei dont know what to blog about and im sick of starting the conversation so you guys need to pass the word on and STOP SLACKING ! >:o O:-)
thanks peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee \\//-_-
well lets talk about that. Lets talk about how fustrating it is that no one (besides us) is writing on the blog. You know we have some great stuff here on this blog, and we really can't get into a fiery debate because so little people are blogging. Guys I think we need to have an intervention... tomorrow we should all have some kind of intervention. Cause really there just isn't an excuse, we all have sidekicks, and i pod touch's, and libraries, and e.t.c I mean come one people we are in the 21st century we need to get with it. And get blogging. Umm, jut out of curiosity what did you guys think of my blog about racial equality? That should be a good blog starter... hey Carmen, what do you think?
ReplyDeleteThis message has been sponsored by Najwa Stanford from period 2
Thank you najwa , i rest my case. im about to get ghetto on yall, anyways , i think your blog was awesome, i was really blown away by all of the factual evidence you had and shocked with some of it. racism is not something to mess with. it is wrong makes no sense and for some unethical reason has been passed down from past generations so even though it has gotten better it is still really bad. for example, im not racist AT ALL and it isnt right but i say "nigga" all the time, is it right ? no. can i change it? yes
ReplyDeleteand alot of other people should think about that and make little changes like that. remember guys we can NOT tackle big issues unless we tackle small ones and make our way up.
Carmen Garcia Period 2
Ohhh my gosh this blog this frusting me lol, it keeps deleting my comment. Anyway this is the short version I do think we should make a blog about racism and how we could change it one step at a timeeee.
ReplyDeleteSandy Bhagwant, Period 2
*The fastest way to succeed is to look as if your're playing by other people's rules,while queitly playing by your own* [Micheal Korda]
ReplyDeleteOn the train i was thinking to myself on why this quote will always stick in my head for years to come. I believe that it is totally true ! because you cant be successful without help, when you are being told how to do this & looking at other people actions on become successful too then you make your one playbook; you take everyone's ideas and beliefs then BAMM you are on track to becoming the best you can be. I do this all the time so i do owe alot to all of the young adults that taught me to be me. Its not cheating to do what Micheal Korda says too but its taking the short road with the same knowledge as the next guy...{think about it clearfully?}...well thats me but what do you guys think?{CARMEN!}
Jahmel Martin pd.2 =]
Hiii Children, i was thinking about the story "Eyes and Teeth" the title really captured me, so did the story. If you think about it society look at you the same way "Buzz" mom did. Espically if your african-american but your born as a 'high-color' black person, (light skin or yellow; so they say).People do judge you!! Some people decide if they like you because of your shade of color, they decide if they are going to make fun of you, etc. I just wanted to know if any of you guys had an experince or saw an situation based on complexion.??
ReplyDeletei agree with what Mr.googi3000 (what kind of name is that?) said, some poeple believe that they are successful because of what they accomplish themselves, but really eveyone is successful because of their surroundings. If your around a negative surrounding, there will always have that one person to look up to and learn from, it can be your family, friends, teachers, strangers. i agree from what Jahmel said, you DO take other's ideas and belief's and use it to help and guide you. if you queitly observe, no one is going to think you've "got it in the bag", but while your doing that, your success is growing and becoming stronger. It is the fastest way to succeed!!!! Devonnye Fiagro. pd.2
ReplyDeleteyesss thanks for proving my point {nd googi3000 is the best name!!}.. If people who have become successful and they write book on how they was brought up so poor& was in a bad neighbor etc.; then say they made it to a millionare spot job with sweet and blood but really they are telling a little white lie without knowing,because they had got there idea of making it to the top from someone else who did it! everyone has to give credit to everyone, even if its a negative person because you can learn from them; that this is not how i want to be 30 years from now..so i clap from everyone!! =]
ReplyDeleteJahmel Martin pd.2
for*
ReplyDeletejahmel do not think i didnt write back , i just spent 20 min writing back and it deleted what i wrote , so i wrote it again anddddd it deleted again , i did this 3 times and im extremely upset now.
ReplyDeletesorry maybe we can talk about it tommorrow because right now im frustrated. >:o
trevor spencer period 2
ReplyDeleteheyyyy so just thought about this-
ReplyDeleteits not the nicest topic but what do you think of men that are disrespectful to woman and visa versa , it goes both ways ladies !
Carmen Garcia P.2
i think that shows how weak a person is that they have to disrespect someone in order to feel above another person.
ReplyDeletetoday we had a pretty cool lesson i enjoyed it ALOT.....thnx ms.valit & ms.scanlon
ReplyDeleteBacc 2 the assignment
I learned today that african americans used exaggeration in their paintings to get there point across. I also learned that what was cool to wear back then was really different from what we wear now; but the outfits were cool in their own ways. The powerpoint was a little crazy bcuz it was way too fast and we couldn't read it...=/..... but overall it was a cool lesson i wasn't expecting it.
P.S= Thnx 4 da HAT!!!!=))
Anderson Joaquin P.2