This week in class we discussed Mortality and Choice. Please use this post to tell the class what your personal response to the NPR Episode is. Also, what is your thesis statement and how will you support it in your essay.
Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel that this is an subject of great ocncern. While people should be able to decide what happens to their bodies, suicide is a very traumatic experience not only for the person who has decided to take that path, but for all the people that care about this person. I am a stron believer in the power of choice, and if were pressed would have to come to the decision that ultimately our lives are in our hands. Every day we make decisions that affect our mortality. One of the greatest things about being a human being is the ability to be independent in our decisions. As was noted in th NPR episode we listened to in class, when the power of independence gets taken away, some lose the will to go on. It is very important to always make your own decisions, as long as the decisions are wise and you are willing to deal with the consequences. However, we must also make sure that we take others into consideration when making our decisions. We must make sure that in our decision making we try not to affect others negatively. At the end of the day, our choices are our own, and I do believe we have the right to choose our life and death.
ReplyDeleteI think that even though we were given the opportunity to decide what happens in our lives,(with limitations since we dont have control over everything,such as natural disasters) it should'nt be our decision when it ends. Life is a preciouse thing as already mentioned in class. Many of us take it for granted while others live it to the fullest. Sure things can happen that can hurt us and other people, but that should only make us stronger. Things can happen that nobody can prevent from happening but it's up to us to make a decision about what we're going to do next. A lot of people decide to commit suicide but Suicide even though it is said to "bring an end to someone's suffering"it brings a lot of pain to others such as family members and friends with it. There are other options that people can take such as therapy. Sometimes a person isn't thinking about the consequences that an action such as suicide may bring and all they need to do is talk it out with someone. When they're emotional a lot of thoughts can come up but sometimes it's not worth the pain it can bring to others... This is why i believe that people should not be able to decide when they're life comes to an end.
ReplyDeleteI think that everyone is different. many fear death. But not only that but the unknown as someone mentioned in class.I agree with both ms.vailt and stephanie. First i think everyone should have a say on how to live there lifes so why not there deaths? i also know that suicide is totally wrong. in my religion it is wrong. but In the end it is the individuals choice. I know if it is someone i love it will be hard to support them in this kind of decision because it is one thing to say "one has the option to choose their deaths" but another story to be in that position. Like if it was someone you love. A family member or something. I think then it changes things.
ReplyDeleteDaisy Chabla
I believe that people should not have the right to choose their own death, only if their in a sitaution where they are being asked to make their death bed than yes. Other than that i don't think a person should have the right to choose their death, the majority of time death is choosen by nature! (I believe in both answers, its hard to choose one, without disagreeing with the other). Somethings that happen to a person, are meant to happen, such as death. If a person dies because of a disease or because of an incident, it was their time to 'go'. On the other hand, if a person is suffering because of a disease or incident that happen, and their only choice is to die, i will agree. Only because suffering emotionally is thw worst thing that can happen to you, most human beings don't want to go through pain or suffering, they rather just die. Mortality is a very disturning topic to go through, you don't know what side to choose. It's DEATH! who would KNOW!
ReplyDelete-Devonnye Figaro. Pd.2
I am strongly against the thought of suicide,but thats just my opinion because I was brought up to believe that taking your life has no possible happy ending.I was taught that it affects you in the after life and it also affects your loved ones.Suicide is a topic that most people like to avoid especially within our family.If a person is planning to kill themselves I feel like they are being selfish because there not thinking of how it will affect their family.They want the suffering to end but if you believe in god you know that he will somehow try to get you through it and find the best solution for you that he can.Humans are so fragile,we can die from just going outside and not looking as we cross the street.Many people take that for granted and don't realize how lucky we are every second that we are able to breath.I love god and value life too much to accept ending my own life.I know everyone might not agree with me but I just can't accept suicide.I do fear death,but people that kill themselves don't fear death.They know exactly what their doing and thats their personal judgement.I don't think I would be able to understand why someone would want to kill themselves unless I was in their actual shoes.
ReplyDelete-MELINA MILANOVIC
i strongly disagree with suicide. suicide is a crucial thing to worry about in our lives and many people are killing themselves in our times because of stress. but when you think about it there are other ways to go then to kill yourself. while your figuring out ways to kill yourself others are in a hospital bed dying of dieases trying to find a way to survive when they know their dying. but when it comes to the npr i dont think there was a way for him to stop his mom from killing herself. she had planned it and made it stick in her head that she does not want to live old. so even if he was to stop her she was still going to commit suicide behind her families back which would have been even more hurtful to the family. you know life is short but when you have the oppurtunity to live i believe its the right option to take and not give up on yourself
ReplyDelete- ama adutwiwaa
I think that people should have the right to control their own death. As Human beings we have the ability to do as we please but with consequences and with the example of mortality if someone wishes to live then they can live life and suffer but also feel happiness but if someone wishes to turn off there emotions and kill themselves then they may take there own life. But personally i wont encourage suicide but I think we have a choice to do it or not.
ReplyDeleteJonathan Fernandez
The thought of suicide is something that I have always frowned upon. I feel that life is something beautiful, everyday that we live is another day that god has given us to either complete our mission or convey our thoughts because every little thing we do causes a change in our society wether it being a small thing or a big thing.I know that life could be harsh at times but no matter what its an opportunity to make a difference and many people dont have a chance to live life to the fullest. I agree with Ms. Valit that suicide not only affects the people committing it but also the people that surround that person. Like in the podcast that we heard yesterday and part of today, the lady who was committing suicide asked her son to help her. Although the son didnt seem really hurt,lets not forget igvany's facial expression after listening, Ms. Valit did point out that he cried during the interview. I feel that secretly, helping his mother with her death was eating him on the inside and this just proves how traumatic this event was to him. Also, the fact that she committed suicide does not set a good example to her grandchildren. Even if they wouldnt be informed as soon, eventually they would find out and many times, older people can play a big role in a teens lifes. Although this is how i feel, i do respect people who dont feel the same its just look at it from this prospective, Is it really worth rushing something that is bound to happen? are you willing to pay the price and loose all you have gained?
ReplyDelete-Brandon Vivas-
I think that when our parent brought us in this world, god still held our hand but made sure that we use our own wisdom, knowledge and smartness to overcome the good and the bad that the world had instore for us, and the good and the bad we created by ourselves. mortality is something nobody in my situation or my surroundings want to experience but its something that others might think is a better choice for themselves. just like ms valit said, we are independent and we should be able to make our own decisions but only with mass thinking and a promise that it is indeed what we really want. death might be something we want to ignore but for someone else it might be something that makes them extremely happy. the fact that its really against nature or god is something i find really strange coming from people in modern human beings because things right now are all about change and your own decisions. if god let lovers make an important decision about whom to spend the rest of their life with, if he made pregnant mom to choose between having the baby and most importantly when he didn't hesitate pure love between same sex then why would he want to stop the choice of death for someone whose life is worthless or more painful then death itself. i get that some people might think that its stupid because there are others suffering from worse conditions who want to live, but not everyone may have the love, friendship, trust and support that motivates and gives reason for others to survive. its true that most problems leading to suicide or the reason for mortality is caused by selfish desires but some people are born with horrible things that god could have stopped. if he didn't stop things that were in his hands then why should he stop things that are in our hands. death is something thats completely against my religion and what i think but im just writing this facts because not all people who are killing themselves are not dumb or stupid and im writing what might be there point of view, people choosing mortality might not be as happy as they might seem and everybody knows what death is and might do so im pointing out facts that are being raised in my mind about what the real deal deal is about this subject.
ReplyDeleteIn my perspective life is very very precious and people dont seem to understand that . It is true that people do go through stress and people do suffer but I believe that god will never give you anything that you wont be able to handle. I think that when people do choose suicide as a solution to their problems it isnt ever the answer because nobody knows what the afterlife is like ; they leave this world full with opportunities for the world that is unknown. The only thing they have to look forward to is consequences for their actions; including hurting the people who care about you either physically or emotionally. Suicide to me is a sign of weakness ; Making that decision is giving up on everything you've ever worked for in life.
ReplyDelete-Ashley Pena, Pd2
i believe that no one has the right to choose their own time of death. evryone have their own way that they would prefer to die but acting it acting out is wrong. okay you don't know what's going to happen in the future. a person can be scared even im scared about the future but i believe that it wrong to kill yourself off before even findinf out. life could end up differently than what you expect. i agree that god don't want people to take teir own lives. i also believ that people also shouldn't see death as a taboo subject. as master stated in class we are scientifically animals, and animals and different organisms have their own time to die. everything alive and even inorgabic things, sometimes, have their own life cycle. sure many in this world do stupid things such as killing themselves and others;but that is the main reson as to why death even is a taboo subject. because, of those that make death horrible. sure there are diseases that can cause you suffering and kill you but if that's the case then you should make the most out your life. most of the time the only person that can cause you to die is yourself. there are circumstances as to when a person is at a wrong place at the wrong time. stil it is those thoughts of suicide that makes you want to kill yourself. i believe that main reson why people kill themselves is because they either want to know what death is like or they just uses it as an excuse to escape from seemingly evryday matters. for example heartaches. everyone experiences heartbreak and heartaches in one way or another. many a times when the person commiting suicide leave a note behind, on it woukd either be that thaey chose death the escape from their so called "suffering" or that they ,for some reason, already wanted to die and the pain was just the push they need. Those that commit suicide are weak since they feel that they can't go on in the world anymore. even in the situation of medical suffering those that take their life or get someone else to do it are not truly survivors. they didn't finish till the end of their test,NO they just left in the middle and never came back foreveer stuck where they left whether or not, they know it is something we the living will only find out when our time comes. but until that fateful day we must continue to survive. sure there's are consequences for every thing but we must always remeber that that if we keep one going the friuts of our labor shall shine through some more than others but they will shine.
ReplyDeleteMy name is trevor spencer and i am against people being able to control their own death.
I personally have a problem with assisted suicide, but I think that everybody has a right to choose what they want or don't want to do with their lives. The only concern about suicide that I have is those instances where the suicide is a spur of the moment decision prompted by desperation and despair. The decision to commit suicide should be well thought out, and anybody who assists in that suicide should know or be made aware of all aspects of the decision making process and the suicides state of mind and health, just like Edward and his mother. It was disturbing listening to his story, but I sort of saw why he chose to assist his mother in her death. He understood that she feared getting old, being lonely and becoming sick and he respected her decision, even though he was uncomfortable with it. It kind of bugs me to think about what I'd do if my Mom were to put me in a situation like that, and I highly doubt that I would assist her in her own death, especially knowing that she's not suffering from any severe illnesses. And this is kind of out of the topic, but I don't really like discussing suicide in class. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to talk about, because I enjoy talking about it only because it can broaden my mind and how I feel about the topic and I think it's somewhat interesting, but I feel like everybody has their own personal views on the subject, and I feel like other people's perspective on it can offend another person's views about it and it's just too sensitive in my opinion. I don't know if you know what I mean, but it's just been in my mind since we've started discussing it. :) Anyway, I haven't came up with a solid thesis yet, but this is kind of what I have so far, "According to the NPR episode, if a person is capable of making the decision to kill themselves before they become ill, their choice should be accepted." I'm planning on backing this up with some of the points made in the NPR episode, with some of the things we've discussed in class, and I'm also going to include some of Anna Deavere's Smith's work.
ReplyDeleteAriana Mohan posted the previous blog! Sorry about that. :)
ReplyDeleteMortality is something that as many, i do not like to talk about. A whole bunch of questions pop up in my head on how, when, and why (which gets me tangled up and i end up contridicting myself without explanation). However, suicide is something that i am completely against. Of course no one knows how it is to be in a situation like that until it happens, from my current point of view, i completely disagree with Edward and his mother's choice to end her life. It is more underrstandable (although, i believe, not justifiable) to commit or think of commiting suicide, but the situation in today's podcast bothered me extremely. It bothered me so much how weak she was. It was something that angered me and that i couldnt find an answer to other than "How weak and selfish." It is evident that every situation is different, but there is a limit to how far one can go and try to justify it. However, i dont believe that planning a suicide for so long can actually be justifiable. As time goes by and the planning of her suicide continues, there had to be a time where she thought twice... more like a million times. Wouldnt she have had ever come to her senses after thinking about it for so long? Is the fear of death and pain SO hard to bare??? I was so angered at such low value that they put to life... it was extremely insulting. I believe we shouldnt try to control something we simply cant handle, which is what used to develop my thesis... "As shown in 'This American Life', many believe that their destiny should be in their hands. However, mortality has an unmeasurable value, which is hard for many human beings to bare with, and we should not try to take control over situations that we simply cannot handle."
ReplyDelete-Karol Perez, pd2
In my opinion life is the biggest thing anyone could enjoy having but a certain number of people don’t value such thing, weather young or old. I myself am not in favor of a aiding a healthy person to death, unless the person has terminal illness such as cancer. Other than that they shouldn’t have a say in their death. Life is cycle of birth and death, but it shouldn’t altered with, it should happen naturally. Decisions that are made today can drastically affect loves ones later on in live. Honestly, I think suicide is a form of weakness, meaning the easy way out of your problems. People should face their problems because by committing such action you’re creating more problems and pain.
ReplyDeleteDeath upon self isn’t the solution; talking is that’s why people should seek help from a love one and/or a professional. At the end of the day it all comes to our morals and values some of us have higher standards and others just don’t and don’t really give two cents about it. This topic in itself is very controversial and contradictory. In some cases we should allow such thing to avoid pain, but in others it’s just morally wrong, why kill your because you’re tired of life? Many people would pay all the money on this planet just to see a sun rise. It’s just tragic. More research should be done to better determine what’s best.
Julio Mejia,pd 2
I am strongly against the idea of a human being ending their own life. I have been taught that life is very precious, and like Julio sais people would pay all the money in the world just to see the sun rise. To be able to wake up everyday and be alive and breathing is a priviliedge. I don't think human beings should control their own death, another reason because I am a strong believer in God and religion and I believe I was put on this planet by Him for a reason, and when he decides to take me back or let me go, then I'll go. I'm not just going to take a gun to my head and end my life, I think it's completely crazy I know life is hard and some people find it hard to deal with at times but death isn't the solution. I believe God did everything for a reason, a good reason, I was put her for a reason, and I'm not going until he's ready for me as some may say. Human beings do have the priviledge to control some things in life, but something as precious as taking your life should not be in your hands, to me it's up to Him in heaven. This is my opinion and how I feel about taking your own life, it's precious and I choose to treasure it everyday but many may disagree.
ReplyDeleteSandy Bhagwant =]
To my understanding and my thoughts I think people shouldn’t have the choice to choose their own death. that’s is because to me it isn’t natural when a human being is committing a suicide. I think some of the reasons people committee suicide is because of depression, low self-esteem, fear, and of course getting older. My opinion to this discussion is that people have many rights but death shouldn’t be one of them. And I don’t think that god would want a human dead, and if, if he did he would have made something happen to get that persons soul. And I think many people would agree with this because majority of the people on the blog has chosen that people shouldn’t choose there own death.
ReplyDeleteMaster Ali(Sean) PD:2